UPDATED 11/22/2016! We’ve added the monsters from Volo’s Guide to Monsters (Wizards of the Coast) and are currently working on adding Fifth Edition Foes (Frog God Games)!
We’ve just added a new 5E Monster Index to our Free Stuff section!
You can navigate to the continuously updated Google Spreadsheet version (click there, or on the image below, or on the Free Stuff page) and sort/download to your heart’s content, or you can click over to the Free Stuff page to download the PDF.
Please note that the PDF is rarely as up-to-date as the Google Sheet!
Whatever version you choose, the Monster Index contains all of the monsters and NPCs listed in the following sources:
Wizards of the Coast:
- Curse of Strahd
- Hoard of the Dragon Queen & Rise of Tiamat (AKA Tyranny of Dragons)
- Monster Manual
- Out of the Abyss
- Princes of the Apocalypse
- Storm King’s Thunder
- Volo’s Guide to Monsters added!
- Tome of Beasts (by Kobold Press) added!
- Adversaries & Allies (by Dan Layman-Kennedy, available at Dungeon Masters Guild)
- Fifth Edition Foes (Frog God Games) coming soon!
The Cool Stuff
There are actually three indexes in here!
NPC Name Conversions
All of the named NPCs in the various adventures — Curse of Strahd, Tyranny of Dragons, etc. — have been given evocative-yet-generic names so that they can be more easily identified by GMs on the indexes when looking for a character type, rather than having to remember that Captain Othelstan from Hoard of the Dragon Queen is effectively a knight in the service of dragons (thus, Dragon Knight!). A few examples:
- Grisha → NPC, Cleric of Slaughter. OOTA232
- Hellenrae → NPC, Earth Cult Monk Master. POTA198
- Izek Strazni → NPC, Fiendblessed Bodyguard. COS231
- Jamna Gleamsilver → NPC, Gnomish Spellsword. HDQ91
The other indexes reference these “generic” names, but in all cases also notes a reference to the original name, so if you do a CTRL + F (or CMD + F on a Mac) to find an NPC character by original name, you’ll find what you’re looking for.
This index includes all of the monsters and all of the NPCs from the noted sources, all organized by Challenge Rating. You can see an example in the image above.
All NPCs on this index are listed as “NPC, Commoner” and the like, and they appear grouped together at the end of each Challenge Rating entry. From the image above, you see that Challenge 0 NPCs are listed at the end as:
NPC, Commoner. MM345
NPC, Scholar. AA25
NPC, Wizard’s Apprentice. AA33
So it’s easy to find NPCs mixed in with all the monsters and choose the right stuff.
The final index is all of the NPCs, organized by Challenge Rating. This index removes the “NPC, [name]” formula so it’s just the actual names in alphabetical order, within each Challenge Rating.
City Watch. AA6
City Watch, Variant: Halberd, Man-Catcher, or Net. AA6
Clockwork Jester (Ref. Pidlwick II). COS235
As you can see, we use the NPC statblocks from the Monster Manual, plus the NPCs in generic form from various adventure paths, and the NPCs from Adversaries & Allies, giving Dungeon Masters loads of options outside of the “standard fare” featured in the Monster Manual.
A Little More
The PDF is full-text enabled, so it should be relatively to extract everything and rearrange it to your own liking. We hope to update this PDF consistently with more adventure releases and even other popular monster books, like Kobold Press’ Tome of Beasts.
All in due time!
If you see any issues or have any requests, let us know!
- Reddit thread (for corrections and updates)
- A more detail-oriented index can be found here by ENWorld forum member MechaTarrasque. It includes not only monsters, but also magic items, spells, races, classes, feats, and fighting styles!
- Copperdogma has greatly improved the Indexes for the Player’s Handbook and Dungeon Master’s Guide!
If you enjoyed this article, please comment, like, and share! You can support future reviews and articles at our Patreon. We publish supplements, campaign accessories, and adventures for Dungeons & Dragons at Dungeon Masters Guild as well as other OSR games and Cortex Plus at DriveThruRPG.