The following resources should be useful for your 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons games, from launch (August 2014) through the rest of forever!
I’ll endeavor to keep this posted updated with the absolute essential “Getting Started” materials, so check back often, and if you know of something that should be included shout it out in the comments!
Official D&D Resources
- Official D&D Basic Rules
- Official D&D Character Sheets
- Official D&D Articles about Factions – Read up on your favorite Factions, like the Zhentarim, the Harpers, the Lord’s Alliance, and more.
- Official Monster Challenge Rating Index
More on Monsters
Monster Manual Index Sorted by Challenge Rating – by Sly Flourish; found in a detailed review of the 5th Edition Monster Manual at Critical Hits.
…And several more such indices sorted by Challenge Rating:
- Blog of Holding’s Index by Challenge Rating
- Mouseferatu (Ari Marmell) Monster Sorter
- The Illuminerdy’s Big, High Quality Index by Challenge Rating
User StoneStrix on Reddit has created a ton of new monsters, and — with several fine artists lending high-quality pix of the beasts — created a continuously updated PDF to supplement your Monster Manual! Here it is. And here’s the thread with more discussion and further updates.
Pregenerated PCs and NPCs
- 1000 Pregenerated D&D Basic Characters – An incredible PDF document filled with pregenerated Basic D&D characters; just names and statblocks with spells and gear and everything! Now with a comprehensive cross-referencing index.
- 1000 Pregenerated D&D Commoners – Roger continues his work with this compilation of 1,000 commoners of all races, named and fully statted out.
- Pregenerated Characters (of any level) – TableTopping.net has an entire database of characters across all levels!
Encounter Building Resources
- UPDATE: Kobold Fight Club’s detailed Encounter Builder.
- UPDATE: Sly Flourish tackles some variant math to create an easier way of Building Encounters in 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons. There’s also a great article on theater-of-the-mind combat in Sly Flourish’s Guide to Narrative Combat in Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition.
- Smartmonkey’s Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition Encounter Builder and Monster Index – This excellent fan-made spreadsheet allows you to plug in your party’s Characters and Levels and gives you all the calculations you need to build encounters of any challenge level. It also has a complete index (with page references and more!) of all the monsters updated through the newly released Monster Manual!
- Google Docs spreadsheet
- Form-fillable Encounter “Character Sheet” PDF
- Asmor’s Encounter Builder Online Tool
Expansive Online Tools
D&D 5E Dungeon Master Tools features nearly a dozen generators and calculators for encounters, dungeon and wilderness dressing, NPCs, and even plot or setting ideas. An additional digital resource, the Dungeon Master’s Folio is a robust suite of free tools you can use to plan campaigns, keep track of in-game notes, create homebrew monsters and items, store photos for your game, and more.
Lists of Products
UPDATE: The following two links have exhaustive lists of every D&D 5th Edition-compatible adventure and/or product from both official and unofficial sources. These are great lists for adventures, especially, as there are tons of those!
- Merric’s Musings: The Great List of Dungeons & Dragons 5E Adventures
- RPG Geek: 5e Game System Product (D&D 5th Edition Compatible)
Lost Mine of Phandelver
Check out the Lost Mine of Phandelver Resources article for tons of maps, errata, and expansion ideas for the adventure that comes included in the D&D Starter Set!
If you enjoyed this article, please comment, like, and share! You can support future reviews and articles at our Patreon. We publish supplements, campaign accessories, and adventures for Dungeons & Dragons at Dungeon Masters Guild as well as other OSR games and Cortex Plus at DriveThruRPG.