When brave heroes learn that the Demon Lords themselves have come Out of the Abyss, a perilous journey through the Underdark is Faerun’s only hope! An epic adventure path requires just the right tools to make it run fast and fun for Dungeon Masters, and the Out of the Abyss DM’s Kit & Screen provides all the reference material you need at your fingertips, as well as expanded and brand new story material to make your Out of the Abyss campaign even more fun!
This 19 page expansion and supplement includes three sections chock full of tools to improve your campaign:
The DM’s Kit
- A detailed Adventure Background, describing the events and motives that lead up to the summoning ritual that brings the
- Demon Lords into the Underdark.
- A detailed Adventure Summary guiding DMs through the various chapters and how they relate to one another, making it easier to decide early on what directions you want the players to take, or to help you during play to quickly track down the information you need when the players take a left turn you didn’t expect!
- A breakdown of the expected level ranges by area and chapter, advice largely missing from Out of the Abyss itself.
With over 200 named NPCs and a ton of information on the various factions, locations, and Demon Lords spread throughout Out of the Abyss, we’ve added a bunch of indexes to help you quickly find the information you need, whether during the planning phase before your game sessions or during play when your players ask a question and you don’t remember the answer!
- Index of NPCs by name & page references
- Index of NPCs by Location and/or Organization (also with page references)
- Index of New Creatures (with Challenge Rating)
- Index of Creatures sorted by Challenge Rating (including the Demon Lords!)
- Index of Demon Lords
- Index of New Magic Items
The DM Screen
- Features general D&D 5th edition rules and reference material, as well as campaign-specific material.
- Underdark travel times, Underdark fungi quick reference and index, food foraging yield table, a Drow Pursuit Tracker, and an index of major encounter tables all lay right at your fingertips!
- Includes a 4-panel screen in both Landscape and Portrait formats.
- Print out the pages and insert them into your favorite DIY Dungeon Master Screen, tape the pages over your usual screen, or simply staple them together or throw them in a 3-ring binder for quick reference!
Written by Tim Bannock (neuronphaser.com, Curse of Strahd DM’s Kit & Screen, Hexcrawling: Wilderness Exploration and Random Encounters)
For the price of a cup o’ joe, you can now have all the tools you need to make Out of the Abyss even more epic, plus easier to run at your table!
If you enjoyed this article, please comment, like, and share! You can support future reviews and articles at our Patreon. We publish supplements, campaign accessories, and adventures for Dungeons & Dragons at Dungeon Masters Guild as well as other OSR games and Cortex Plus at DriveThruRPG.